St. Andrew’s School Uniform (from May 2017)
Why do we have a school uniform?
We believe it is important because:
- A smart uniform gives a child a sense of pride in themselves and the school
- It helps them to feel a part of the school family within the community
- It promotes equality between all children
- It reflects the positive attitude of the school and the children, to those outside.
Reception – Year 6
- A white shirt (preferably short sleeved)
- Grey trousers
- A blue V neck jumper with the school logo
- A tie (which should be a clip tie for Reception)
- Grey socks
- Black leather or leather-look shoes
- In summer, grey shorts may be worn
- a white shirt/blouse (preferably short sleeved)
- a grey skirt, grey pinafore or grey school trousers (straight or bootleg with no fashion styling or trim and not in stretch material)
- a blue cardigan or V neck jumper with school logo
- a tie (which should be a clip tie for Reception)
- white or grey ankle or knee length socks OR navy or grey tights
- black leather or leather-look shoes
- when wearing trousers in the winter, flat ankle boots may be worn
- in summer, a summer dress may be worn (a dark/navy blue and white check dress with small gingham style checks)
For P.E., all children should have
- a pair of navy shorts
- white sports socks and black plimsolls.
- a house colour polo shirt
- trainers for outdoor games in Years 1-6
- a navy tracksuit for outdoor games in Years 1-6 (sweatshirt and joggers)
- a blue PE bag, with a drawstring cord and school logo, to store the kit in school.
- Dark blue/navy or black coat, raincoat or anorak. Plain, single colour with no logos but safety reflective strips or armbands are strongly advised
- Blue fleece jacket with embroidered school crest in white – optional. For outdoor wear only.
- Blue knitted winter hat or blue summer cap. Plain, single colour with no logos, but school crest permitted. Headwear optional
Children in Reception to Year 4 need a blue book bag.
In Years 5 and 6 small blue courier bags may be brought to school.
Apart from small stud earrings in pierced ears, no jewellery should be worn in school. Please be aware that stud earrings should be removed or taped for PE lessons. (Please provide micropore tape if necessary.) Nail varnish, make up and temporary tattoos should not be worn.
Long hair must be tied back with a simple band, ribbon or small slide in school colours – blue or white or blue/white check. Large hair bows should not be worn.
Girls and boys’ hairstyles should be conservative. No patterns or logos should be shaved into the hair.
Watches may be worn by children from Y2 upwards. They should be simple analogue watches to help children to tell the time. They will need to be removed for PE.
All items of clothing and footwear should be clearly labelled.
Items with a logo are available from Smiths Schoolwear on Lancaster Road.
Please note that optional summer uniform relates to the period from about Easter to about October – there are no exact dates for changing. The wearing of the tie may be relaxed by the school in particularly hot weather.